Learn how you can officially change your name

Name Change Checklist

Changing your name not only affects you, but also the people, authorities, and organizations you are associated with.  It is important to make a checklist of the people and authorities you should notify upon the approval of a name change.

The following government authorities must be notified immediately:

  • Social Security Administration – You need to update your Social Security Card first and foremost after a name change.  Some agencies may require your SS card as proof of your name change before they update your information.
  • The DMV office – DMV offices require name change notification within a select number of days.  Updating your drivers’ license and ID card is important for travel, banking, and voting purposes.
  • Your local country voter registration department
  • State Department – This is important for updating passport information.

After your name has been updated on important identification and government documents, begin notifying the following:

  • Insurance companies i.e. auto, home, life.
  • All of your employers
  • Educational institutions such as schools
  • Healthcare physicians such as your doctor, dentist, and pharmacist
  • Your local post office
  • Utility companies
  • State and federal tax departments
  • Credit card companies
  • Landlord or mortgage company
  • Veteran affairs department, if it applies to you
  • Other local institutions such as your library

Other documents to update include your car title, will, power of attorney, health care directive, and living trusts.

Skip to content